What you need to know about building your own personal business from the ground up.

24.11.11

My thoughts on entrepreneurship...

I have thought a lot about entrepreneurship in the recent past, which is what inspired me to do my blog on this topic.  I am coming up on my final year at the University of Utah, which is why I have spent a lot of time contemplating where I am going to head once I graduate.  I have spent my last few years working on my BA in Mass Communication, emphasizing in journalism.  It has given me a lot of ideas about how I can start my own company, be my own boss and do something that I truly love.
            Journalists have many opportunities to become entrepreneurs, as does anyone with a communications degree.  Mass communication degrees have far more opportunities with entrepreneurship than most other degrees in my opinion.  Writers can write their own books, start their own publication business, become a professional blogger or start their own newspaper.  Communication degrees can start their own advertising companies or start their own photo-shooting business.  These are just a few of the opportunities that can be done by someone with a communication degree.  There possibilities are as far as your mind will take you, because media and communication is everywhere and continues to grow, expand and advance every day.
            So how do I feel about entrepreneurship?  The idea makes me a little nervous, but I think it is a fantastic thing.  It takes a lot of patience, dedication and motivation for someone to start from the ground up to build a business.  There are so many challenges that could be faced along the way, and seeing other people that I know overcome their challenges and achieve success has definitely inspired me and given me a new appreciation for entrepreneurs. 
            When I think of a successful entrepreneur, I think of it as being one overall thing- rewarding.  It would feel so good to know that you started out with a simple idea and then were able to take all of the steps necessary to turn it into a real thing.  To see a large amount of profit and success pouring into your business would be even more rewarding.  And best of all, it would be through doing something that you love.  That’s the beauty of entrepreneurship- when you are starting your own business, you can center it around what you are really interested in.  So many people in this world spend their day-to-day lives going to a job that they feel no sense of passion for.  What a waste of time and life. 
            The major speed bumps that I can foresee any entrepreneur would face is time and money.  Starting your own business would take a lot of patience because it takes an immense amount of time to not only get the word out about your business, but to get it flowing smoothly so that everything becomes routine.  The overall goal is to build up a business that can function if you take a day off.  Also, it takes money to earn money.  A financial investment is necessary in virtually all entrepreneur businesses.  You have to buy your equipment needed and pay for the advertising to get the ball rolling.  This is why only people with a lot of patience and focus should attempt entrepreneurship.  Eventually your free time will re-appear again, and if you are successful, you will begin to make an income off of your business- preferably a very large income. 
            I don’t know how long it’ll take me to become an entrepreneur.  I will more than likely get a job with something relating to my major after I graduate.  It will be to give me extra experience and to give me the funding I need to start a business of my own someday.  I would absolutely love to have my own photography business someday.  Whatever I end up doing, it will be something I thoroughly enjoy.  I will create opportunities for myself, as well as create opportunities for people who share my same interests and wish to work with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment